Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ratatouille

Ratatouille is a Disney - Pixar movie about a rat named Remy that dreams of becoming a great chef. At the end of the story, Remy along with his partner Linguini, the garbage boy,  recreate the recipe RATATOUILLE.  My daughter, wife and I love the movie.  I thought I would include the recipe as a preview to the movie. Soooooo, I had prepared all of the vegetables and ingredients ( mis en place ) and had my lovely 4 year old help me place the vegetables in my Le Creuset pot for cooking. She added the salt and pepper and herbs.

Here is the recipe:
3 Tbsp. of Olive Oil
3 finely sliced Garlic Cloves
1 small Eggplant cubed in 1'' cubes
2 Red Bell Peppers de-seeded and cubed like the eggplant
4  chopped medium Tomatoes
2 tbsp. of Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring often until softened, roughly 2 minutes.
Add the eggplant, stir until coated with oil and add the bell peppers. Stir to combine.  Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If they start to dry out add a little water. Add tomatoes, zucchinis, herbs, salt and pepper. Mix well, cover, and cook for another 15 minutes on low heat until the vegetables are tender.

I added on my own, a tbsp. of fresh chopped basil and 2 tbsp. of parmigiano reggiano cheese to flavor.

Remy knew that his dream of being a chef was something he desired even though his family was against it. He found that his friend inspired him and they worked together to create something special against all odds.
Just like my daughter who inspires me to be a good dad and my lovely wife that I live for each and every day.
I finally have found my passion in cooking and writing that helped me get through journalism in college.
Special THANKS to Mike C. at Kitchen on Fire for the recipe.  Thanks to Pixar and Disney for a wonderful movie. And to my dad, who I dearly miss. It has been 45 years since I cooked with him. He just may be cooking for Auguste Gusteau, the culinary hero up in Heaven.

Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments, suggestions and favorite recipes and wines here