Thursday, June 19, 2014

Canning / pickling veggies


Summer is only days away. A perfect time for canning and pickling vegetables.
Yesterday I put canning jars and lids in a boiling bath. After the sterization process, I let them cool on a wire rack.
It was a great start for the family to get together and pickle some veggies.
I had Kierann,my youngest daughter cut about a pound of string beans. She snipped off the ends with a
pair of scissors, discarded the ends and placed the string beans in a bowl for mom.
Kath, my lovely wife made the brine.
Here's the recipe:
4 cups of white vinegar
4 cups of water
4 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of kosher salt
2 tablespoons of mustard seeds
In a pot she poured the vinegar and water and boiled the mixture.
She took the liquid off the heat and whisked in the salt ( I substituted sea salt for the kosher salt,) mustard seeds, garlic, sugar, and the red pepper flakes.
She whisked the liquid until the sea salt and the sugar disolved. 
We placed the green beans in 2 large mason jars that were sterilized. 
Then we poured liquid mixture which was still hot over the green beans.
We let them cool in the jars with the lids and seals off for about an hour.
After the jars with the beans and the brine cooled, I placed the seals and the lids on the jars tightly and stored them in the fridge.
These beans should last for 1 month in the fridge.
They go great in a salad or just as a side dish.
Also, (as seen in the picture)we pickled cauliflower and red onions. The onions and cauliflower will be great as a jardiniere to go over steaks, fish, pork chops or even burgers.
The pickles are another story.
I will post the kit to make these on my next blog entry.
My oldest daughter Eden, bought me the pickling kit and the sea salt.
Stay tuned for my next entry on how and where to buy the kit and my recipe for the cucumber pickles. 

Enjoy,
Steven W.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments, suggestions and favorite recipes and wines here