Friday, April 22, 2011

Slow Cooker - Beef or Pork

Even though I am not a patient guy, lost it all after the birth of my 2nd daughter, I realize some things are better when you wait.
Slow cooking. Crock pot. Yes, the slower the better.
Now the question since I am a carnivore, is... beef or pork?
Either is fine in a crock pot. The idea is to have a pork shoulder or beef round roast slow cook in a nice large crock pot. The meat will tenderize when the proteins are broken down.
Here is a quick easy recipe. Too bad the slow cooker takes so long...
I like a pork shoulder with 1 side of fat still on the meat. Fat is flavor.
This is a good pulled pork recipe.
Pork shoulder.
1 big jar of GREEN salsa
1 btl. of Newman's Own Lite Italian Dressing.
1-2 cups of white wine. ( I like Miner's 09 Napa Chardonnay)
and 1 -2 cups of H2O

I put 1 -2 cups for the wine and the water depending on the size of your pot.
Place the shoulder in  the pot, add the ingredients and slow cook on high until
you can tear the meat apart with a fork. I usually start this late night and let it cook on high until the morning. Or depending on the size of the pot and the shoulder, it could cook down between 6-8 hours.
My wife loves the smell of the slow cook pork recipe permeating throughout the house.

Take the pork shoulder out of the pot. Remove the fat form the top. Shred the pork with a fork into pieces.
I usually take a couple of corn tortillas, shred some cheddar cheese on top and slightly broil until the cheese melts. Place the shredded pork on top, add avocado, sour cream, and red or green salsa. Done.
Finish, by patting yourself on the back for making this recipe, by toasting yourself with a nice glass of that 09 Miner Napa Chardonnay.
Salud !
Steven

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to try this as soon as I get a crockpot, and a place to live.

    ReplyDelete

Post your comments, suggestions and favorite recipes and wines here