Monday, April 25, 2011

A Way to My Heart is via Fried Chicken

I love Fried Chicken. Always have - always will !
I remember my friend Tony Pioppi's mom made simply the best Cold Fried Chicken.
Brings back great memories. Thanks Tony and mom.
Most recently, my wife introduced me to a local restaurant that offered a fried chicken sandwich.
A fried chicken sandwich with a cabbage / onion slaw on an artesian roll.
I call it: "Fried Love of My Life."
Sorry quiche. This is mas bueno.
The recipe in layman's speedy terms would be:

COLESLAW

1 small red onion sliced very thin.
1 cup on red wine vinegar.
After slicing the onion, toss the onion with the vinegar and let stand for 20 minutes.
I like it chilled in the fridge.
Drain the vinegar  from the onion and add:
1/4 cup of fresh chopped parsley
1/2 green cabbage, (about 3 cups) thinly chopped
2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped.
Mix well with the onion.

VINAIGRETTE
1 tbsp. of Dijon mustard
3 tbsp. of red wine vinegar
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1tsp. of salt

Mix the vinaigrette by slowing pouring but well blending  the olive oil in the mix and add to the slaw mixture, again chill in the fridge.
A good hour and the vinaigrette and the red wine vinegar will enhance the flavor of the slaw.

CHICKEN
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Salt, (add pepper if you like) sprinkled on each breast
1 quart of Buttermilk
4 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 quarts of vegetable oil
1 tbsp of salt
1 1/2 tsp. of black pepper
1 tbsp. of Cayenne pepper
Season the chicken. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Pour buttermilk in a large shallow bowl or in a large Ziplock bag. Add chicken making sure buttermilk overs all of the chicken.
Chill in fridge for 1 hour.
Pour vegetable oil in a large pot. Raise vegetable oil temperature to 365 Degrees.
In a shallow bowl, stir together flour, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
Lift chicken out of buttermilk batter, dredge in flour. Repeat the process by adding chicken back in the buttermilk and re-flour a 2nd time.
Cook the breast in the hot oil 5-7 minutes.
I like mine golden brown and extra crunchy. Say: YUM 3x.

Cut the rolls in 1/2, place slaw on bottom of rolls, top off with the fried chicken.

Note, for an extra kick, I like to add either a tbsp. Red Hot sauce or vietnamese chile pepper sauce to the buttermilk for that extra ZING... kick in the pants.
Also, I finally realized the reason for the extra crispiness of the chicken is the double-dippped batter.
I bet Tony's mom could have told me that. Sorry, mom.

A glass of 2008 Napa Valley, Vintjs Cabernet Sauvignon picks up the spiciness of the chicken.
Add a Godiva chocolate candy for my sweet toothe.

Bon Appetite !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments, suggestions and favorite recipes and wines here