Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Island of Maui

Every year I get the opportunity to visit my favorite island: Maui.
I have been to other exotic locations such as St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, and Kauai but Maui is my favorite. Count it 11 trips so far.
Now the flight from Oakland, California  to Maui is roughly 4.5 to 5 hours, and I was hungry.
I made the error of purchasing 3 sandwiches at the airport from one of those coffee houses that are on every corner of every major city.
My mistake.

During the week on Maui, I found 2 new establishments that made up for my previous lack of judgement.
1st was Coconut's Fish Cafe.
http://coconutsfishcafe.com/
Probably the BEST fish tacos I have ever had eaten. Even better than Maui Taco.
http://www.mauitacos.com/
I love Maui Taco.
However, Coconut's Fish Cafe had a light white fish in a 2 corn tortillas. It included a mango salsa and a cole slaw on the side.
I found the fish tacos to be fresher and lighter than Maui Taco.
Sorry Maui Taco you have been 1 upped.
Coconut's Fish Cafe just recently was voted BEST TACOS on MAUI.

2nd. Can't say enough about Bev Gannon.
She maybe my favorite 4 STAR island executive chef.
First she had Joe's Simply Delicious Food Restaurant in Wailea in Maui.
http://www.restauranteur.com/joes/
Great wines, good fish and a nice menu for the kids.
I recommend the blackened ahi sashimi appetizer !
Also nice is the roasted beet and goat cheese tower.
A little pricey but the view is nice and the service is good. Close to the condos and you can watch professional tennis players  at the nearby courts while you eat.

Of course Bev comes up with another precious stone.
Hali imaile General Store
http://www.bevgannonrestaurants.com/haliimaile/
You walk into an old victorian building with collective dinnerware on the walls.
You are greeted by their friendly staff and enjoy maybe the best ribs on the planet.
Paniolo baby back  ribs with an asian slaw and mashed potatoes.
I have mine with a mango ice tea.
Enjoyable was the crab pizza, which she says " she won't tell what is in it."
Sorry Bev, I think I can make a hot crab pizza.
It was delightful.
And the chinese chicken salad with fried wonton strips and curried coconut.
Yum.

My 2nd encounter was at Bev Gannon's newest restaurant.
Gannon's.
A Pacific View Restaurant.
http://www.gannonsrestaurant.com/
She hit this one out of the ballpark or should I say off the tee and a hole in 1.
Located at the Wailea Gold Golf Course. It has a romantic setting off the golf course.
You walk past the Red Bar inside the restaurant.
http://www.gannonsrestaurant.com/the-red-bar
I had to have an Ocean Mist, one of their signature mixed coctails.
This one is a combo of vodka, club soda, guava and passion fruit with a squeeze of lime.
Nothing better than sitting back, staring at the Pacific and drinking this libation while the sun sets before you. " What me worry?"
I shared the 2009 Rombauer Chardonnay with my lovely wife.
http://www.rombauer.com/index.cfm?method=storeproducts.showList&productcategoryid=fee9aaf0-f2b5-e75f-eaaf-8b9c74d4d936
We call it "Liquid Gold."
And we had the best meal on vacation.
For the appetizer we shared the lobster, crab, tomato tower and the tempura ahi roll made with salmon, crab, pickled ginger and wasabi vinaigrette.
I finished with the Miso Glazed Walu. The best white fish ever. The sides were asian slaw and wasabi mashed potatoes.
Bev, no wonder you were picked Best Chef on Maui.
You're a genius.

I love vacations.
Enjoy spending quality time with family, friends and meeting strangers along the way.
On the way, make time to visit new places, like new cafes or restaurants.
Sample new menus, slow down, relax, and eat well.

Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments, suggestions and favorite recipes and wines here