Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

 Chicken Tortilla Soup

I'm not a fan of Mexican food.
Well, I do like it but I'm not into eating it more than 1 day a week.
Unlike some family members who could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The fast food mexican restaurants SUCK.
I can't believe you can even call them Mexican restaurants.
At least we are fortunate here in California to have some good
authentic Mexican restaurants and taquerias.
And you can make a good Mexican dish.
Here is a start.

Chicken Tortilla Soup.
1 ear of corn
1 red pepper - diced
1 bell pepper - diced
1 zucchini - diced
3 garlic cloves - minced
1 sweet white onion - diced
1 can of stewed tomatoes  - chopped
1 can tomato sauce
 1 chipotle in adobo sauce - chopped
3 large cans or boxes of chicken stock
1lb. of rotisserie chicken - cubed
1 tsp. of cumin
1 tsp. of poultry seasoning
3 Tbsp. of vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

I grill 1 ear of corn until slightly blackened on all sides.
(On a barbecue or skillet without oil.)
Oil is not needed and the sweetness of the corn is enhanced from the charring effect.
In a pot over medium heat I place the oil and then the diced vegetables:
peppers, onion, zucchini and garlic and cook until translucent.
It takes about 1-2 minutes.
You can set it aside and let it cool if you plan on  cubing fresh chicken and cooking
 it in a skillet with a Tbsp. of oil and the seasonings.
Me, sometimes I'm lazy.
I'll just pick up a rotisserie chicken, shred it or cube a pound of it and I'm done.
The easy way, is to take a chicken breast, season with your favorite spices on both sides
and place it in a glass pyrex dish in a 350 Degree oven for about 20 minutes.
The chicken should be slightly brown and juices run clear.
Me again. Lazy.
Bring on the rotisserie!
Maybe I will  buy one for my grill.

Ok, add the chicken, spices (seasonings), vegetables, chicken stock, tomato sauce,
stewed tomatoes.
Add any Mexican spices you desire.
Add more stock (if needed.)
Add the chipotle in adobo sauce.
This sucker is HOT. If you want more heat - add 2 chipotles.
Dont ask me to kiss you later or for water.
I told you so.
 Caliente!
Cook on a low to medium heat for an hour.

Ladle into a serving bowl.
Add your favorite garnish!
Avocado, Cilantro, Green onions, Sour cream. Cheddar cheese. Parsley.
I like garlic chives, sprinkled queso fresco and tortilla chips.

You can buy the tortilla chips.
Here I'm not lazy and I like the fresher taste of making my own tortilla chips.

In a fry pan over medium heat I add 1 -2 cups of vegetable oil.
 I cut tortillas into 1/2 inch strips and drop them into the hot oil until they brown up and get crispy.
Remove and place on a plate with a paper towel.
While hot, season strips with salt and pepper.
Add Mexican paprika for an extra kick.



Saludos Amigos !

Oh, and since I am in such a good mood over food and wine,
I thought I would give you an added bonus.
I'm such a nice guy....
Here are 2 nice wines to bring out the spice and heat from the soup:


2008 Indelible Wines mark of Passion Cabernet Sauvignon

and



2005 Franciscan Vintage Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

All the best.
Steven

 Email: realmeneatquiche@gmail.com

Blog: http://realmeneatquicheanddrinkwine.blogspot.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments, suggestions and favorite recipes and wines here