Thursday, August 30, 2012

Couple of New Reds - Wines

Checked out a couple of new reds this week - or should I popped open a couple of bottles to sample.
I love wine with dinner or just relaxing with my wife in the backyard.
Red table wines are usually cheaper in price.
They are not as heavy a red as some zins or  some barberas.
 I should start collecting the bottles.
The label art is nice and it reminds of the days of
collecting albums for their artwork even if they sucked musically.
I really find it amazing to watch people stare for minutes on end trying to find a wine.
Maybe there should be more reviews at stores. How about wine samples?

2010 Decoy Napa Valley Red Table Wine.

Absolutely delightful.
 Rich in fruit but not to heavy in tannins.
Bright cherry berry flavor.
Loved this one.Very Good !


I think my wife and I bought this one for around $15.
Kathleen bought this one at Costco, Decoy Winery sells a 3 pack for $75.

Here is another:

2009 Oberon Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon


Right around $20  per bottle.
Another great value. Cabs seem to hold their flavor and value.
I like to drink them immediately, but you can aerate / decanter them and wait a half hour to breathe.
Aerating wines allows oxygen to filter into the wine. Let it breathe.

 3rd pick:

2010 Kirkland Signature Series Rutherford Napa Valley Meritage Red Wine.
I find it rather unique that Kirkland bottles wine from other wineries under their name.
Don't get me wrong, most of the wines under the Kirkland label, sold through Costco
are really good.
Try the reserves.
Here is the link for the Costco Connection newsletter on wines:
http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/ks_wine/#pg1



I recently saw a 2006 bottle of this same vintage.
That one would have to be one to serve right away. 2006 would not last after the end of 2012.

Here is bottle #4:

2010 Avalon "California" Cabernet Sauvignon.
I had my taste tester KRW check this one out. She said:
"It would be a good 2nd bottle to drink."
It kills me to know she is always right.



Surprising to me is that it was good.
It's normally a $25 bottle but I bought it for $7.99 at Luck's Supermarket.
 I should have pilfered the other cases they had in stock.
Nice to know they had a $2 coupon off the bottle and it had a 91 rating. 2 other bottles,
the pinot noir and the merlot had 92,and 93 ratings.
http://www.avalonwinery.com/
I wish they had their website up and running so I could check out the wine maker's
message and their brands.

Bottle 5: Judal Family 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon


Love the label.
Instead of labeling the percentage or breakdown similar to ie:
cab / merlot / zin / verdot the bottle is labeled as 50% Sonoma County and 50% Napa County.
CUTE.
 A drinkable red wine.
Boy, were they spot on saying you can taste a hint of tea, truffle and dark fruit.
I tasted all of the above and more...

Finally, #6 it this one rocks the Casbah !
2008 Sterling Vineyard Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
When you want to taste a wine with full grape flavor, this is the one for you.
I could have eaten the grape seed, stem, and skin on this one.
UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!


This is a Napa apellation wine and it Rocks !
I need to try their other wines.
http://www.sterlingvineyards.com/our-wines/collections/napa-appellation-wines

Well, there you go 6 wines that you have to try.
Remember, ask your wine broker to look for these.
And stock them.
You may find them at Costco, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Safeway, or Lucky's Supermarkets.

The pleasure was all mine.
Steven
Blog: http://realmeneatquicheanddrinkwine.blogspot.com/
Email: realmeneatquiche@gmail.com







No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments, suggestions and favorite recipes and wines here