Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Winning Recipe - Chile

I have been asked by a number of people to publish my prize winning chili recipe.
It's pretty simple and it only takes a few items to kick it up a notch.
Although the recipe did have a lot of ingredients.
Of course, I like to cook my chile slow and over a low burner.

2 pkgs. of ground turkey (approx. 2lbs. total )
2 cans of rinsed kidney beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes
2 cans of corn (drained)
2 cans of  rinsed garbanzo beans
3 diced carrots
1 diced onion
2 diced green peppers
1 can of beer
2 pkgs. of chile seasoning mix
2 tbsp. of  minced garlic
4 tbsp. of diced green chiles
4 tbsp. of adobo sauce (normally chipotle chiles in adobo )
just use the sauce only
4 tbsp of canola oil
4 tbsp of garlic olive oil
2 cans of tomato paste
4 cups of water
salt and pepper

First I place the canola oil in a large skillet and heat it over medium heat.
Brown the turkey. Do not drain the grease. Turkey is dryer than ground beef. It needs moisture.
Let cool.
In a separate large skillet, place the garlic olive oil. If you prefer you can use olive oil without the garlic
flavor. Heat the oil in the pan over medium heat.
Place the carrots, onions and green peppers in the pan. All the vegetables should be uniform in size.
(Meaning cut in the same size.) They cook more evenly.
Cook until the vegetables are sauteed and become translucent (think shiny or glazed.)
The look I get when I have 2+ glasses of wine.
Let vegetables cool.
In a large pot start assembling all the ingredients.
First add the turkey with the grease.
Stir in the chili packets with the water.
Start cooking over low heat.
Add vegetables ( carrots, green peppers, and onions.)
Add the minced garlic.
Stir in 2 cans of tomato paste.
I used Hunts.
http://www.hunts.com/products/tomatoes/tomato-paste
Add rinsed kidney beans and rinsed garbanzo beans.
I used my favorite SW Premium beans for both garbanzo and kidney.
http://www.swbeans.com/product_classic-bean.cfm
Add  2 cans of drained corn. Do not add the liquid.
I prefer Del Monte whole kernel corn.
http://www.delmonte.com/products/detail.aspx?id=206&c=214.214.243
Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes. Liquid and all.
I used SW diced tomatoes.
http://swfinefoods.com/products/tomatoes.html
Add diced green chiles.
I used Ortega diced green chiles.
http://www.ortega.com/products/products_detail.php?id=13140
Add the adobo sauce. If you want more (+) heat dice up some of the chipotle
chiles and add to the pot.
But these suckers are hot (Caliente !!!!!)
The adobo sauce adds a smokey flavor and packs a little punch (heat.)
I used Embasa which is a Mexican brand distributed by Hormel Foods.
http://www.hormelfoods.com/newsroom/brandinfo/EmbasaMexicanProductsFS.aspx
The chiles and the chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are readily available at Mexican grocers
or at your local grocery in the ethnic aisles.
Add beer. You could use a cup of red wine but I wanted a lower calorie
beverage and less of the tannic taste that comes from red wines.
I used 1 12 oz can of Busch Light Beer.
http://www.busch.com/BuschLight/
Stir all the ingredients together.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
I like a lot of pepper in mine.
Cook uncovered over low heat for 2- 3 hours.

Now of course, if I wasn't in a rush, which I was because I had to make corn bread with the chili and prepare for the cookoff;
I would have grilled fresh onions, peppers, chiles and corn.
That would have brought out even more (+) flavor and sweetness of the vegetables.
And I could have used ground beef instead of the ground turkey.
But, I was in a rush. Try cooking every night and making lunches every morning
for your wife and 6 year old demanding daughter.
Also I wanted a lower calorie meat to serve in the chile.

So there is the recipe that beat out 11 other contestants and fed (in tiny cups ) about 100
fellow enthusiastic onlookers.

As always it was a joy cooking with you!
Lots of love and good food...
Steven

Blog: http://realmeneatquicheanddrinkwine.blogspot.com/
Email: realmeneatquiche@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comments, suggestions and favorite recipes and wines here